EBOLA virus causes EBOLA VIRUS DISEASE, formerly it was known as Ebola hemorrhagic fever. Its first outbreak took place in 1976 in Zaire. It got its name as it occurred in the houses nearby river EBOLA.
Its reservoir host i.e. who doesn’t itself get infected but carries infectious agent is a BAT. It is transmitted among primates and humans. Mode of transmission among humans is secretions like blood, semen, needles. Therefore, in prevalent countries, it is advised that while doing sex, use condoms as protection.
The incubation period is 2-21 days. EBOLA VIRUS DISEASE is similar to malaria. Its symptoms are-
- Muscle pain,
- Nausea and Vomiting,
As it causes problem in coagulation, which leads to intense bleeding this further causes shock and if shock is severe it leads to death,
Multi-organ dysfunction like liver, kidney
PERSISTENT VIRUS IN PEOPLE RECOVERING FROM IT:-
It is known to be persistent in immune privileged sites in some people who have recovered from it. These sites are eyes, testicles and CNS. In pregnant women, the sites are placenta, amniotic fluid and fetus.
- Enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay (ELISA)
- PCR technique
- Electron microscopy
- Serum neutralization test
- Virus isolation by cell culture
TREATMENT and VACCINE:-
For supportive care, oral or intravenous fluids for rehydration are required. Although, there is no specific treatment for it. but a vaccine name Rvsv-ZEBOV was studied in a trial during its recent outbreak in 2014. In 2014 African cities like Sudan, Liberia etc. outbreak was started.
PREVENTION AND CONTROL:-
- Animals should be handled with gloves and other protective clothing. Before eating they should be properly cooked.
- For human to human transmission, regular hand washing, nurses or doctors handling Ebola virus case should use gloves, masks, long gowns.
- In cases of sexual transmission, use condoms as protection.(Read-How to use a Condom? Safe sex tips for men)
- Dead bodies should be buried properly and who was in contact with EBOLA virus patient should take extra care and if any symptoms mentioned above come within 21 days should be immediately informed.
- People of EBOLA virus countries should not travel to other countries. For this, QUARANTINE check should be done at every airport, seaport, railway stations, and border areas.
This is a check done at every above-mentioned place so that infected people can be isolated. They can allow traveling only when a certificate saying that are fit to travel is issued to them. This is a necessary check which prevents disease to become pandemic.
EBOLA virus disease is an emerging disease so everyone should be aware of it. if any symptoms occur immediately consult a doctor.