Cancer is a process of uncontrollable and random cell growth without any stimulus. It is of 2 types- Benign which does not invade the normal tissues but present at its site. Malignant tumor- which invades the normal tissues, therefore, more dangerous than that of benign one.
In India, among males, the most common cancer is oral cancer and among females, breast cancer is on the top of the list.
TYPES OF CANCER-
- Oral cancer
- Breast cancer
- Lung cancer
- Cervix cancer
CAUSES OF CANCER-
- For oral cancer- Tobacco, supari, pan eating
- For Breast cancer-Hormonal disturbance, genetic history, stress
- For Lung cancer- cigarette smoking, occupational pollution
National cancer control programme-
Hospital-acquired registry i.e. cancer patients coming to hospitals for check up
Population acquired registry i.e. population at risk recognize by NGOs after screening or diagnosis
- For Breast cancer-
Self-breast examination, mammography, breast MRI, clinically breast examination
- For cervix cancer– Pap smear
- For colorectal cancer- blood tests, sigmoidoscopy, colonoscopy, barium enema
Signs and symptoms-
- New lumps or growths in the skin
- Shortness of breath
- Loss of appetite for more than 3 weeks
- Change in bowel habits for no reason
- A mole that changes shape, size or bleeds
- Blood in urine, sputum or stools
- Chemotherapy with different anti-cancer drugs like vincristine, doxorubicin, methotrexate etc.
- Radiotherapy which includes giving strong radiations
- Hormonal therapy
- Surgically removal of any mole or lumps
- Vaccines can also prevent cancer
Side effects of treatment-
- Due to high and strong doses of medicines and radiations hair loss is the main complaint
- Immunity decreases which give an opportunity to other infections
- Appetite loss
- Bleeding and Bruising
- Pain, Nausea and vomiting
Cancer is difficult to beat but it is not impossible. Many famous personalities like MANISHA KOIRALA fought against ovarian cancer, YUVRAJ SINGH bravely fought against germ cell cancer, famous director ANURAG BASU beat acute promyelocytic leukemia and ANGELINA JOLLY live and fought bravely against breast cancer. They all fought against these dangerous cancers with the change in lifestyle and proper and timely treatment. Most of the cancer patients die due to late detection, lack of awareness and financial problems.
To create awareness many organizations are working.
YouWeCan is a newly formed org. by Yuvraj Singh after cancer, American childhood cancer organization, an association of cancer physicians, Stand up to cancer; make a wish and many more.
It is difficult for the cancer patient and his/her family to accept it. But the continuous fight against it and awareness can give them second chance to live.