YOGA allows you to rediscover a sense of wholeness in your life, where you do not feel like you are constantly trying to fit broken pieces together.—BKS Iyengar
The first question which comes to our mind is what is yoga? As beautifully put by yoga legend –BKS Iyengar
Yoga is like music: the rhythm of the body, the melody of the mind and harmony of the soul create the symphony of life.
Over the last few years yoga has become quite popular. Research has proved that it is beneficial for us and even medical professionals have agreed with this. There is a lot of mysticism regarding what exactly it is all about. The word “Yoga” means Union, so it is a practice which helps in the journey of the self, through the self, to the self as quoted in the Bhagwad Gita. The mind, body and soul are connected through meditation, body postures and controlled breathing. It teaches us “to cure what need not be endured and endure what cannot be cured”-B.K.S Iyengar.
Yoga is not about how you bend or twist but helps a person to rediscover a sense of wholeness in his life. The perfect unison can be achieved through Hatha Yoga and it’s branches.
BENEFITS OF YOGA
It is beneficial for overall healing of the body and we will see 77 benefits of yoga.It has both mental and physical effects on the well being of the body.The picture gives an overview how yoga helps the body over a span of time.
The benefits of yoga can be categorized into following types
- Internal Health Benefits Of Yoga
- External Health Benefits Of Yoga
- Emotional Health Benefits Of Yoga
- Yoga Working On Body Chemistry
- Benefits Of Yoga As An Exercise
- Yoga Working To Prevention Of Disease
INTERNAL HEALTH BENEFITS
- Enhanced Circulation: improves blood circulation,better nutrient and oxygen transportation leading to a healthier body and a glowing face.
- Lowering of Blood Pressure: yoga helps to increase blood circulation,thus increase in oxygenation and reduction in blood pressure.
- Lowers Pulse Rate: reduces body strain causing relaxing of the body and lowering of pulse rate.A low pulse rate signifies a stronger heart.
- Lower Respiratory Rate And Better Cardio Vascular Endurance: it helps in controlled breathing and better lung capacity,better oxygenation leading to lowering of heart rate which results in cardiovascular endurance.
- Stimulation Of Organs: internal organs get massaged,so work well.
- Improves Digestion: regular practice activates the digestive organs and keeping ailments at bay.
- Increased Immunity: it enhances healing power of the cells causing a stronger immunity.
- Higher Level Of Pain Tolerance:reduces chronic pain and enhances level of pain endurance.
- Increased Metabolism:yoga enhances metabolism.
- Renewed Energy: it rejuvenates a person.
- Improved Sexuality:boosts self confidence,relaxes the mind and body all these factors help enhance sexuality.
- Sleep: increases secretion of melatonin a hormone which controls sleep and wakefulness.Thus relaxing the body and providing ample rest to the body.
EXTERNAL HEALTH BENEFITS:
- Externally too we can notice the benefit of yoga.
- Keeps Premature Aging At Bay:it relieves stress,helps to detox eliminating toxins and free radicals which helps to delay aging.
- Control Posture:yoga helps in body control so a person can look confident and healthy.
- Increases Strength:it is a kind of weight training exercise
- Maintains Ideal Weight:helps to maintain the ideal body weight with regular exercise.
- Balance:poses help in balance and focus of body.
- Full Body Awareness:regular practice helps in alignment and body comfort.
- Increasing Core Strength:when core is strong body becomes strong and can face all kind of injuries and remain healthy.
EMOTIONAL HEALTH BENEFITS OF YOGA:
- This creates a sync between mind and body
- Uplifts The Mood:body is filled with instant energy which uplifts the mood.
- Reduces Stress:with constant practice negativity is drained out which reduces stress.
- Anxiety Management:good stretching poses and controlled breathing helps to get rid of anxiety.
- Fights Depression And Allows Self Acceptance:when negativity and sadness releases,depression goes and self esteem increases leading to self acceptance.
- Mind ,Body Connection And Self Control:mind and body are in harmony with controlled breath,so a person has better control on himself.
- Positivity And Less Hostility:yoga helps to balance hormones,which increases positivity reducing anger and hostility.This helps to lower blood pressure.
- Better Concentration,Better Memory And Attention To Detail:
- Concentration becomes better,good circulation to brain improves memory thus improving social skills.A person is attentitive to small details.
- Tranquility And Calmness:bad thoughts go which makes a person serene.
YOGA WORKING ON THE BODY CHEMISTRY:
- It works on the biochemistry,hormones,glucose levels,altering blood cells etc.
- Lowers Cholesterol:lowers blood cholesterol due to increased blood circulation and burning of fat.
- Enhances The Lymphatic System:helps to boost our immunity and expel the toxins from the body.Thus it strengthens our lymphatic system.
- Glucose Level Regulation:glucose levels are kept in control keeping diabetes at bay.
- Sodium Regulation:helps to lower sodium levels,people eating junk food have a high retention of sodium.These foods have high levels of sodium and yoga done regularly lessens the sodium retention.
- Lowering Triglycerides:they are a type of fat present in the blood and their high level can increase risk of heart diseases,so yoga can lower them and let people lead a healthy life.
- Boosts Red Blood Cells:helps to increase the red blood cell count thereby decreasing chances of anaemia and fatigue.
- Better Absorption Of Vitamins:enhanced blood circulation helps in better absorption of nutrients.Vitamins contain major nutrients so yoga helps their absorption.
- Improved Endocrine Functions:hormonal function is well regulated.
- Relieves Migraines:yoga decreased headache frequency and intensity.
BENEFITS OF YOGA AS EXERCISE:
- As a workout it is the best exercise.
- Lowers Risk Of Injury:it is low impact and controlled motions as compared to other exercise forms.
- Activates P.N.S:parasympathetic nervous system is activated which heals and relaxes the body.
- Toning Of Muscles:muscles become flexed and toned with yoga.
- Dominating The Subcortex:subcortex is regulated.
- Oxygen Consumption Reduced:natural breathing provides body with oxygen rich air,so body gets a boost after exercise.
- Non Competitive Workout:helps in introspection and self building with no competition,so no injury,anger or stress.
- Range Of Motion Increases:body and muscles flex increasing muscle range.
- Improves Endurance And Depth Perception:endurance level increases and depth perception is enhanced.
YOGA WORKING FOR DISEASE PREVENTION:
Doctors find yoga useful as they help prevent diseases.
Prevention Of: Alzheimer’s, Osteoporosis, Diabetes -2, and cardio vascular diseases.
ALLEVIATES SYMPTOMS OF PROBLEMS:
- Several diseases which set in can be helped by yoga.
- Carpal Tunnel Syndrome, Asthma, Arthritis, Multiple Sclerosis, Muscular Dystrophy, Epilepsy etc