An earthquake happens without warning, being prepared in advance or at a time is critical to minimize damages and loss. Consider these earthquake safety tips:
- Do not panic, keep calm.
- If you are in a crowded place, do not rush for cover or to doorways.
- If you are in a moving vehicle, stop as quickly as safety permits, but stay in the vehicle until the shaking stops.
- If you are in a lift, get out of the lift as soon as possible. Stay away from windows glass, or loose hanging objects and furniture that could potentially fall over.
- One of the biggest hazards during an earthquake is falling debris and furniture. Avoid areas in your house where you might be exposed to these hazards.
- Take cover in a safe place in your house. Take cover under a sturdy piece of furniture. If you can’t take safe cover, protect your head and neck with your arms.
- Do not try and go outside until after the shaking stops. If you are outside, move away from buildings, steep slopes and utility wires.